Thank you to our August speakers Rebecca Mighton, Kim Kammler and Kyle Wiedemann who provided us with an inside look at the life of a Staff Attorney. We’re grateful that they shared not only their lunch hour with us, but also a few helpful practice tips.
Our September CLE will be held at Keith Young’s Restaurant on Friday, September 16th. Our guest speaker will be Austin Benton, who will speak on “Superior Document Drafting (Stop Repeating the Mistakes of Those Before You). As I know we are all pressed for time on a daily basis, I’m hopeful that you’ll find his discussion about recent technological developments to be quite useful.
Lunch will start at Noon and the cost is $25; the CLE begins as 12:30 and is $15 for members. Please RSVP to Judy at email@example.com if you plan to attend so that we can ensure that we have enough handouts for everyone, the restaurant can have enough food and seating, and we can get started on time. While we’re on the topic of CLEs, check-in for our lunches and other programming just got so much easier! I’m thrilled to report that we now accept credit cards… in advance! To register and pay, please visit our website at www.22ndjdcbar.org and select the function for which you’d like to pay.
Please also see our announcement below about our very busy summer.
Elizabeth Sconzert, President
NEW THINGS HAPPENING WITH THE BAR ASSOCIATION
We’ve had a very busy summer. Please see the following updates:
1.) We have created an attorney directory on our website, which will list our current members. The directory can be searched by name or practice area. The directory not only allows members to find members, but also allows attorneys outside of our area to find your contact information, and allows the general public looking for an attorney based upon practice area. The Basic Listing is included in your annual membership dues, but you must be a member in good standing and fill out the online form. Our executive director will review the listing form and ensure that each paid member is included in the directory. In addition to the Basic Listing, we are pleased to offer a Premium Listin gat the low cost of $50 per year. The Premium Listing includes the same information as the Basic Listing, plus a link to your website, map to your office, company logo and a photo. Please visit our website at www.22ndjdcbar.org and look to see the various possibilities.
NOTE: To keep this directory listing signup process limited to our members only, when you go to one of these two links below you will be asked to put in a password to view the page. The password was sent to you in the September newsletter or contact Judy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link for free basic listing sign up:
Link for $50 premium listing sign up:
2.) As mentioned above, we are very pleased to announce that we are now accepting credit card payments for CLE, membership and the above attorney directory. Again, please visit our website, www.22ndjdcbar.org, and click on the function you want to attend and fill out the information. If you have any questions, please contact Judy at email@example.com.
3.) Did you know that we have an attorney lounge on the second floor of the courthouse? Located at the opposite end of the courthouse from the jury pool room, the attorney lounge is available for use by our members. We have a new computer, a printer, a shredder and green books (which will be updated soon) all available for your use. (Please do not use the lounge for client consultations.) We’ve also updated the lounge with new comfortable seating and coffee and water service.OPENING OF COURT
Opening of Court will be held in Washington Parish on Friday, September 9, 2016, at 9 a.m. Refreshments will be served following the ceremony.Flood Relief
1. The FBA together with SOLACE (https://www.lsba.org/Members/Solace.aspx), sponsored a gift card drive to assist those affected by the floods with immediate needs and rebuilding supplies. If any member or a relative have those types of needs, I would love to speak with them about coordinating the donation of some of the gift cards. Please contact Kelly Scalise (504) 299-6110.
2. Any lawyers or staff members of law firms living and/or practicing in one of the parishes qualifying for federal assistance as a result of the floods in August 2016 are invited to apply for assistance by emailing to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. If you are in a position to assist your colleagues in the legal community, we encourage you to donate here: https://secure.affinipay.com/pages/brba/foundation.
Alternatively, you may mail your check made payable to the Baton Rouge Bar Foundation Disaster Fund to:
Flood Relief 2016 Donations
Baton Rouge Bar Foundation
544 Main Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70801
The Criminal Law section will host an all day CLE on Friday, October 14th at the Holiday Inn, 45 Louis Prima Drive, Covington, LA. This will include 6 hours of CLE credit and lunch. The cost is $185. We are working on a speaker line-up of Judges, ADA’s and other relevant topics. The registration form and complete list of speakers will be sent out soon.
Criminal Defense Chair
The Young Lawyers Section will host the 7th Annual Court Chase 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run in downtown Covington on Saturday, September 10. All proceeds will be donated to the Youth Service Bureau (http://www.ysbworks.com/). Please consider becoming a Sponsor and/or coming out to participate in the race. Sponsorship and Registration Forms are attached.
Young Lawyer Chair
1. The 22nd Judicial District Court of Louisiana seeks to hire a Staff Attorney. Persons interested in applying for the position should request an application packet, which includes a position description and application form, from 22nd JDC Administration at 985-809-5300 or email@example.com. Submitted application packets must include 1) a completed, signed application form AND 2) a writing sample. Resumes may be submitted in addition to, but may not be substituted for, a completed, signed application form. Submissions must be made to the 22nd JDC Administration, 701 N. Columbia Street, Room 3210, Covington, LA 70433 or to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30pm on September 9, 2016.
2. The 22nd Judicial District Court seeks to hire a Behavioral Health Court Case Manager. The application packet (attached) for this position includes a job description and an application form to be completed by applicant. Completed application forms will be accepted at the office of the Court Administrator, by hand delivery or mail to 701 N. Columbia St., Rm. 3210, Covington LA 70433 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Resumes may be attached, but may not be substituted for the completed application form. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 9, 2016.
3. The District Public Defender Selection Committee for the 25th Judicial District (Plaquemines Parish) will be accepting resumes for the position of Chief District Public Defender. Qualifications shall be in accordance with La. R.S. 150(B) and 161(B). Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full job description available at www.lpdb.la.gov. Resumes may be mailed to the attention of David Parsiola, 8397 Highway 23, Suite 100, Belle Chasse, LA 70037 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is 9/14/16.
4. Curry & Friend, PLC, an established boutique defense firm is currently seeking environmental and medical malpractice attorneys. Curry & Friend, PLC takes pride in the high engagement level of our members and we are committed to fostering an inclusive atmosphere. To learn more about us and our available positions please visit www.curryandfriend.com/careers.
Environmental 1st Chair Attorney – Qualified candidates will have 10+ years defense experience in 1st Chair civil jury trials, complex litigation, and primary case management. A/V rating required. Environmental experience preferred.
Environmental Litigation Attorney – 8+ years civil defense litigation experience preferred with emphasis on complex litigation. A/V rating preferred. Environmental experience preferred.
Litigation Attorney – Qualified candidates must have at least 5 years of litigation experience. Medical malpractice defense experience and an AV rating are preferred. Excellent organizational, case management, and deposition skills required.
5. Lafayette attorney seeking to return to his roots in St. Tammany. Searching for shared office space in a family law environment. Work well with other attorneys. Please contact Ronald C. Hammock @ 337-269-8900 (office) or 504-495-3200 (cell) if interested or know of anyone seeking such an arrangement.”NORTHSHORE LEGAL SECRETARIES ASSOCIATION
The Northshore Legal Secretaries Association (” NLSA”) is a group of Legal Professionals. Our object and purpose is to promote sociability and networking among members, promote professionalism, education of the law and a higher level of ethics and professional conduct among its members. We meet the last Thursday of every month at a different restaurant on the Northshore and we invite a guest speaker. Follow us on Facebook to find out the location, time and guest speaker. You can also call or email Corresponding Secretary Pamela Miceli at 985-718-8083; email@example.com or President Dory Lowe at 985-789-6450; firstname.lastname@example.org.